The postpartum period can be an amazing time of bonding with your new baby. It can also be a very difficult transition.
While the baby blues are very common, intense feelings that go beyond 2 weeks might mean a call to your health care provider is a good idea.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Have I been able to find joy or laugh at something in the last week?
- Have I been able to get any sleep in the last week?
- Have I been anxious or worried for no good reason?
- Have I spent a lot of the last week crying, scared, panicky or angry?
- Have I spent a lot of the last week blaming myself when things go wrong?
If you find yourself persistently sad, withdrawing from those around you, or having trouble connecting with your baby give your provider a call.
Having a postpartum doula can be a great help in getting through this transition time. I can be there to make sure that you are getting the rest that you need, help you gain confidence in your parenting skills, and let you know if it might be a good idea to reach out to your provider.